Rent or buy?
Whether to buy or rent a container depends on a number of factors including what you plan to use the container for and how long you will need it. If you decide to buy, Boxhub will find the right container and deliver straight to your door
If you only need a storage container for a couple of months in connection with a house move, or until you finish your new shed, it makes sense to rent.
When always to buy rather than rent?
However, there are a lot of good reasons why you should rather buy. If you are buying a container for shipping or transporting your own goods, there is only one choice – Buy. The same is (obviously) the case if you are going modify it into a container home, a pop-up bar/ restaurant or some other structure.
When to buy a container for storage?
For storage, the question is often for how long you will need it. If you need it for more than a couple of months, it’s normally worth considering to buy for a number of reasons;
- Stable residual value: If you maintain the container well, you are likely to get a very good resale price for it if you decide to sell it. If you buy a used “wind-and-watertight” container, it will likely have been almost fully depreciated. Contact Boxhub, and we will help you sell the container
- Save on the monthly payment: Although you spend cash upfront, you will save on the monthly payments which can quickly run up if you need the container for several months. These are all “sunk cost” which cannot be recovered
- Durability: Shipping containers are made from special COR-TEN steel designed to withstand corrosion while being shipped around the world. You will therefore have a very durable asset that will easily stay in shape for 30+ years when used for static storage
- Easily repaired: With simple welding and floor patches, the container can be cheaply maintained even if damage should arise, meaning you can save cost by keeping the same container longer until it needs to be replaced
- Multipurpose: Even though you might initially buy the container for storage, if you own the container you will have the option to convert it later into new purposes. This could be a granny flat, a workshop, or even a container swimming pool!
Find your container on Boxhub
We are here to help you find the perfect new or used reefer container for your project. When you are ready, head to www.boxhub.co and find the right container at the right price, delivered straight to where you need it.